For those of you that don't know me, my name is Adam and I have just finished my BSc (Hons) Sports Therapy degree from the University of Gloucestershire. I've had an amazing time and didn't want it to end!
So why am I writing this blog?
Well, coming to the end of my degree I was encouraged to apply for the Society of Sports Therapists (SST) Graduate Travelling scholarship, which is offered to one graduate each year. Candidates from across the UK studying the same course accredited by SST get to apply and have the opportunity to partake in an experience only five others have had before;
6 weeks experiencing Canadian sport in the best athletic and physiotherapy facilities there are, alongside the best clinicians and therapists.
Luckily the hard work, determination and pure guile paid off and led me to the final interview stage with four other fantastic students. I had ridiculously clammy palms as my father and I arrived at the Business Centre in Luton. The interview was 45 minutes but it felt more like 4. We had an agonising two hour wait before the jubilation and a sickly warm feeling hit me as my name was announced as the chosen student to represent the SST and UoG in Canada!
So, here we are now!
At this stage, we are approximately three weeks away from that first flight out, and the excitement is building! E-tickets in hand and seat numbers confirmed. The familiar sense of butterflies in the stomach returns just imaging what it's going to be like!
I would just like to thank everybody who has supported and guided me through my time in University, lecturers, work colleagues and the unbreakable bond with my SPT friends too! A huge recognition goes to the SST, Professor Graham Smith and Kathy Harvie who have given me this chance to travel and do what I love in a such a unique setting!
Of course I cannot express my thanks enough to my loving family and wonderful girlfriend for being there when they're needed most though they terrify at the thought of me going away! Without them, I wouldn't be where I am today!
Please keep posted on here and Twitter, @adamgaunt2 as I share with you, the trip of a lifetime.