Close the cookies bar at the top of the page, click 'more' and SHARE on Twitter and Facebook for others to enjoy!

Sunday, 17 August 2014

Calm before the Storm

I've been in Windsor, Canada for four days and what can I say?! It is wonderful! For the short time I have been here, my jaw has remained open in awe of everything. The shops and restaurants are quaint with their own unique qualities whilst the houses and cars are brash and bold. The weather is superbly warm with a slight breeze, which dies down to a sticky heat late in the evening.

Following touchdown in Detroit, we travelled safely north across the river to Windsor. My first experience of the university came the next day, taking the very short journey to Out House to meet numerous staff and players for the first time, before watching an exhibition Basketball match in the evening. During the game I got to know Dave, who is a colleague of Kathy's in the Sports Therapy clinic here. The match was epic, a close one up until late in the 3rd quarter where the Lancers took charge and eased to a pre season victory!


I've had the opportunity to visit the local mall, allowing me to spend some cash on souvenirs and bargain clothing from American Eagle and Roots, whilst noshing on some 'New York' fries before heading into the U again.

Spending time at the clinic, I've been lucky enough to observe and learn from Kathy and Dave, picking up on subtle differences in style and technique through which they operate; utilising kinetic fascial chains and biomechanics.
Tape has a massive part to play as well, not just in joint proprioception but mechanics too allowing me to acquire new found tape skills and ultimately adapting my current abilities. Being around the clinic during the day has allowed  me to brush up on my electrotherapy modalities too, self-testing new setups.

Though the most interesting thing is being around and speaking to the student athletes and admiring their commitment and focus to studying and to playing sport at such a high level; a culture which is vastly different to the UK.

So today the clinic was tidied, cleaned and organised ready the the massive onslaught of gridiron and football players coming in on Monday. This is the last 'late' start before 6.30 opening and 12-14 hours of controlled chaos.

This is just a short update about the first few days of my stay, whilst the jet lag bites, though I can guarantee much more gossip once the pre season camps begin! More and better pictures to come!



"Friends and Family; Family and Friends"

No comments:

Post a Comment