Close the cookies bar at the top of the page, click 'more' and SHARE on Twitter and Facebook for others to enjoy!

Friday, 5 September 2014

Blue & Gold! Spat, Spat!

My first American Football match was incredible! From pre match to finish, the atmosphere was immense with a decent crowd in attendance and the lancers were pumped and ready to go, after a solid few weeks of training camp!

Pre match I provided some taping and stretches for the players but also I was introduced to a taping concept called Spats. More like a snug covering over boot and ankle, they were requested quite frequently by the players looking for more support but also just to get a slick, tidy look to match their pads and kit! I wasn't too sure! After the warm ups were done and the players lined up in the inflatable tunnel and emerged like professionals with smoke and music!


The brand new matt blue helmets were looking sublime as the sun tinted off the gloss Lancers logo. 

The wind played a huge part in the match with teams only scoring with the wind. Lancers picked up a  90 yard touchdown to take a half time lead, though this wasn't enough as, the appropiately named, Queens Gaels picked up a 3rd quarter touchdown against the breeze to seal a high scoring win, 30- 39. 


I was called into action a few times during the match, attending to a few bumps and knocks on the pitch, having to remove a few due to their injuries.  My experience in rugby had implanted a 'attend to injuries in play' approach which was hard to resist as the referees needed to call us on!

I loved the day and can't wait for the Lancers second match tomorrow! The atmosphere was something I thrive off! A much needed win is required after a disappointing first match loss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment